Run regedit with elevated privileges
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles
Check Individual profiles under that tree and delete all the unused ones or modify the current config if you need to!
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has a new "feature" which re-opens all running applications upon next boot if you do not close programs before you shutdown.
As a workaround to this "bug-feature", create a shortcut as follows on your task-bar or desktop.
shutdown.exe /s /t 0
shutdown.exe /r /t 0
Unfortunately, at the time of this writing, there is no way to switch this feature off within windows settings. Hopefully, Microsoft includes a switch in coming updates!
Steps to use the exploit
- Boot using any live cd to access the hard drive
- Replace C:\Windows\System32\sethc.exe with C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
- On Login Screen hit Shift key 5 times
- net user "username" "newpassword" [without quotes]
To secure your system from this venerability, these steps could slow down / stop the attacker.
- Disable booting using removable media using UEFI / BIOS & protect with password
- Full System Encryption
- Disable Sticky Keys
- Physical Security for the hardware
To mute the console beeps, execute the following:
setterm -blength 0
to boot without X
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
to boot to X
systemctl set-default graphical.target
find the current info